1 kit & kafoodle: Shoya Nouvelle Wafu Cuisine

Monday 20 April 2015

Shoya Nouvelle Wafu Cuisine


In my opinion, Shoya is one of the best fusion-Japanese in Melbourne; it borders on ridiculously authentic, with fresh sashimi which sweetly melts in your mouth, whilst also introducing new flavours and techniques into the mix, like creating a dessert out of a tomato; with every dish being beautifully plated up every time. Usually when I eat at Shoya, I order the banquet omasake, but after many people commenting on how exquisite the a la carte menu is, I had to try it for myself.


We started with the Salmon Sashimi ($19.8) which was a beautiful little dish we knew would be a winner. Fresh, delicious raw salmon waited to jump into our mouths.


The Beef Tataki ($12.0) is something I usually avoid, as I prefer tuna. This tataki consisted of lightly grilled Wagyu beef served chilled with grated plum radish, quail egg and ponzu sauce, which ended up full of flavour but still very chewy by the end.


Nama Shii Hotate ($16.5 for 3pc) was described as mashed scallops softly surrounding the quail egg topped with shiitake mushroom in a gentle tempura. The tempura fried quails egg and mushroom combination was nice and delicate, whilst the green tea salt garnish highlighted the moreish taste.


Chawanmushi ($8.5) is my absolute favourite Japanese dish. A steamed egg omelette with chicken, prawn, shiitake mushroom and bamboo shoots so soft and beautiful I am always left wanting more. Great .


Eel is definitely not my thing, and I mostly blame the miniscule bones that pepper the eel flesh. This Unagi Kabayaki ($32.0) however, had no bones!! I was able to enjoy the heavier eel meat covered in a semi-sweet pepper sauce.


Being a carb queen, I hastily ordered the Mentai Potato salad ($9.0); a mashed potato topped with spicy cod roe, but ultimately ended up as nothing special. It was a nice and creamy mash, with the salty roe making it slightly better than average, but nothing you couldn’t do at home.



To end the meal, we opted for the Sea Urchin Cheesecake ($16.0) which was silky soft to taste, but I had no idea where the sea urchi was as I didn't taste any saltiness at all. Nevertheless, maybe that’s what made it great. The nut crumble was an easy way to create a crunchy texture to contrast the smooth cake. 

TL;DR Shoya will make for a beautiful meal out, every time.

Shoya Nouvelle Wafu Cuisine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment