1 kit & kafoodle: Top Paddock (take 2)

Thursday 7 August 2014

Top Paddock (take 2)

I returned to Top Paddock to gleefully embrace their (my) Ricotta Hotcake with my tastebuds and I must say it didn't disappoint. Despite returning there on a busy Sunday morning, the wait was neither long nor tedious, partly due to the cleverly placed celebratory Easter Egg Hunt on the lawns opposite their beautiful building. Though eggs weren't very difficult to find, it was still a very cute surprise and thoughtful addition on Top Paddock’s part.


Their hot chocolate is delicious! Definitely one of the better hot chocolates out there; and picture perfect! The correct balance between chocolate and milk creaminess.


I had a lot of time deciding what to order on the menu, despite being so keen to return. I always want to eat the sweet dishes like the Oat Porridge with strawberry & rhubarb compote, violet sugar & pistachios ($14.50), or the House made museli with poached fruit & yoghurt ($12) but the inner carnivore always screams to get something heartier. So I settled for the House smoked keiserfleisch & fried egg roll with a pear & apple chutney ($16.5). This was a bit of a mistake. When the dish was presented I remember feeling disappointed at its size, although I did foresee this by its price compared to the other dishes. It just seemed so boring and underwhelming. I knew I should've gone for another option. Sure enough, the keiserfleisch was tasty, but very salty. The roll was nothing spectacular and bordering on tough and the chutney was very sweet. It just was not a very satisfying dish.


Luckily I got to sample some of the Top Paddock: chorizo, pickled onion, peppers, basil, bacon, Adelaide green tomatoes, poached eggs & relish on toast ($22). This matched how it looked – Magnificent! I am very against getting the “Big Breakfast” option at brunch places, because really, how much can you do with a fried tomato, some mushrooms and bacon and eggs ± a sausage or two. But Top Paddock is the exception. The peppers were incredibly tasty and well roasted, the bacon was, well, bacon and the chorizo with onions and relish was so good.


To finish, the Blueberry & Ricotta Hotcake with berries, organic maple, seeds & double cream ($17) was my crowning glory. Perfection in a dish; so soft and moist like a dish-shaped flat cake and the ricotta doesn't really have a strong overpowering taste, making it accessible to all you cheese haters out there. I must say I enjoyed my first time a lot more, but overall this dish will keep me coming... back. again. and. again.

TL;DR Mixed feelings about some dishes here at Top Paddock.
Top Paddock on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment